Friday, August 28, 2009

Spicy Pickled Daikon

I’ve had pickled vegetables in Asian restaurants and love them. A few days ago, after using some daikon to make soup, I still have half a daikon left. Unwilling to make the same soup in 2-3 days, I decided to make some sort of picked daikon reminiscing those Korean Kimchis I had in Korean restaurants.

Here’s my version, which MIL approved and asked for the recipe! Thank goodness, I wrote it down! Please use porcelain or a glass bowl for this recipe. Plastic bowls will most likely stain.

SpicyDaikon1

(SPICY) PICKLED DAIKON RECIPE

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 Lb Daikon
  • 1/2 Cup White Vinegar
  • 1/4 Cup Honey
  • 1/4 Cup Sugar
  • 1-2 Tbsp Sambal Oelek (Depends on how spicy you want it to be)
  • 1 Sprig Scallions / Spring Onions

Method:

Peel daikon, quarter it length-wise and slice it to about 1/2” thick. Wash and chop scallions. In a porcelain/glass bowl, whisk vinegar, honey, sugar and sambal oelek. Add daikon and scallions, mix well and refrigerate over night (at least 12 hours). Serve it cold as an appetizer! =)

SpicyDaikon

I used Sambal Oelek in this recipe. I’m so loving this chili paste easily found in grocery stores in the US. There are so many different (spicy) stuff you could make with Sambal Oelek, besides using it as is as a dipping sauce. oelek

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails