Sunday, August 23, 2009

Peach Picking @ Parlee Farms

Peaches are in season at Parlee Farms (I’ve mentioned this farm so many times, it felt like I’m working for them or something. FYI, I have no affiliation with them!) and I decided to head over there with my MIL to experience some peach picking! The only fruits I’ve picked are strawberries and blueberries and I figured peach picking would be equally fun.

We got there early in the am, to avoid the scorching heat (temperatures in the area have surpassed 90 Fahrenheit) and to get first pick of the fresh peaches. We paid $15 for a peck (10lb box) and took the free hayride into the peach orchard. Peaches were abundant, huge and luscious looking. The best part, there wasn’t many people. So, we took our own sweet time to choose and pick the crème de la crème.

The peaches were all so huge, yummy looking and we were so tempted to pick all of them! It was easy to pick them, don’t need to bend over too much (like strawberry picking). All we need to do is find a good looking peach, and twist it. If the peach is ripe, it should be easy to detach it from the branch. Our peck soon seem very small as we kept piling it with freshly picked peaches! =) Here are some pictures to show you our adventure in the orchard.

Peach4Peach5PeachPeach3

We piled the peck sky-high with about 15lbs of peaches (no wonder my arms were sore the next day!). And they only cost us $15! That’s about $1/lb, even cheaper (and way BIGGER) than getting them from the grocery stores ($1.49/lb).

 Peach1Peach2 

We have many many plans to use up these fresh peaches…… We’re giving some away to friends, ate some fresh, turn some into peach jam, make peach cheesecake, and perhaps peach ice cream if we still have any left! =) Stay tuned for my experiments with these peaches!

Ahh… how I wish my mom (and dad) were here…….They would have loved to join in the fruit picking fun! =) I’m trying to convince them to visit me next year, around August. That way, they’ll have a chance to pick some berries too!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails