Thursday, August 6, 2009

Coconut Corn Konnyaku Jelly

I’ve heard about Konnyaku Jelly for a while and had no idea what it was and how was it different from agar-agar (from seaweed) or gelatin (from collagen inside animal’s bone/skin). Konnyaku (also known as Konjac) is derived from a plant native to eastern Asia. Konnyaku can therefore be used as a vegan substitute to gelatin.

I got a bag of it from the Malaysian grocer in Flushing Mall a couple months back and have finally decided to try it. I forgot how much I got it for, perhaps about $3-4? The instruction on the back asked for canned fruit /fruit juice but I wanted to try something different. I googled for some recipe ideas and found a recipe for Sweet Corn Konnyaku Jelly. I used that recipe and made modification to mine since the instructions on the bag of my Konnyaku Jelly called for more powder than Aunty Yochana’s Sweet Corn Konnyaku Jelly recipe. CornKonnyakuHere’s my recipe, based on Happy Grass brand Konnyaku Jelly. The way the Konnyaku Jelly thickens reminded me of corn starch! I finally was able to use the different kind of molds my friend Anna sent me months ago. Thanks, Anna!!CornKonnyaku2

COCONUT CORN KONNYAKU JELLY RECIPE

Ingredients:

  • 125gm Happy Grass Plain Konyaku Jelly (1/2 Packet)
  • 1/2 Cup Sugar
  • 250 Ml Sweet Creamed Corn (8.5oz can)
  • 400 Ml Water
  • 200 Ml Canned Coconut Milk

Method:

Add sugar and Konnyaku Powder into a pot. Slowly pour in water, coconut milk and creamed corn while stirring mixture to prevent clumps from forming. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat and continue stirring for another 2-3 minutes. The mixture will start to thicken. Add 1/2 packet of the Malic Acid (came with the Happy Grass Konnyaku Jelly) and stir until dissolve. Pour (or spoon) mixture into molds/bowls. You may have to work quickly as the mixture hardens very quick! Allow jelly to set before chilling it in the fridge. Remove from mold and serve. CornKonnyaku1Here are the different kind of molds I used for my Konnyaku Jelly. If you dun have fancy ones, ice cube tray would probably work too. Or you could use other containers. Mold

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails