Friday, August 7, 2009

Green Tea Chiffon Cake

Updated August 21, 2009.

Hubby and I love chiffon cake and have not had any in many months (or years?). With my spanking new non-stick tube pan, I was excited to try a chiffon cake recipe! Ideally, I would like to attempt a pandan chiffon cake, hubby’s favorite. However since I did not have the time to get some pandan paste from an Asian grocer, pandan chiffon cake would have to wait.GreenTeaChiffonWith my big bag of green tea powder, I decided to make a green tea chiffon cake. Now that would be different from the regular chiffon flavors we’ve had; pandan and orange. I googled for a recipe and found a recipe that seem to be used ever so often in various food blogs.

The recipe (though looked complicated, was actually easy) turned out really well. My first attempt in making a chiffon cake was surely a success! Well at least 99% successful (I’ll let u in why it’s not 100%)! I was a happy baker. I was worried if my chiffon cake will turn out light and fluffy like it’s supposed to.

I found the recipe HERE and HERE.

GreenTeaChiffon8 

GREEN TEA CHIFFON CAKE RECIPE

Ingredients:

Part A:

  • 4 Large Egg Yolks
  • 30 Gm Granulated Sugar
  • 1Tbsp Honey
  • Pinch of salt

Part B:

  • 4 Tbsp Warm Corn Oil
  • 80 Ml Warm Water + 4 Tsp Green Tea Powder
  • 3 Tsp Rum

Part C:

  • 100 Gm Cake Flour
  • 3/4 Tsp Baking Powder

Part D:

  • 4 Egg Whites
  • 1/2 Tsp Cream Of Tartar
  • 30 Gm Granulated Sugar

Method:

In a medium bowl, cream ingredients (A) with hand whisk till sugar dissolved. Add in ingredients (B) in the respective order and mix well before adding the next item. Sieve in ingredients (C) and mix till no lumps. In a large bowl beat egg whites with electric beater till frothy, sprinkle in the cream of tartar. Beat till white in color and add in sugar by thirds. Egg white should be beaten till stiff peaks are formed.

Put half portion of egg white into yolk mixture and mix it with a hand whisk in 6 strokes. Pour yolk mixture into the rest of the egg white and mix well with hand whisk. Put batter into a chiffon cake pan (20cm / about 8 inches), hit the pan on a hard surface several times to release the bubbles and bake at 350F for 35 -45 minutes or till cooked.

When the cake is cooked, remove from oven and hit the pan once on a hard surface to loosen the cake texture then invert cooked cake on a wire rack to cool for 15 – 20 minutes. Remove cake from cake pan (you may need to run a knife around the edges) and leave aside to cool completely.

June’s Notes: My chiffon cake was only 99% successful because I used a non-stick tube pan. I found out later that I should use regular tube pan to bake chiffon cake. The chiffon cake needs to cling on the sides of the pan to climb up and achieve its height (for the same reason, don’t grease your pan). Therefore, although my cake was light and fluffy, it did not rise like the cake HERE. I do wonder if it was coz my pan was also a little bigger (9-3/4” as opposed to 8”)?  I don’t think I’ll invest in another tube pan, one is enough. Plus, my chiffon cake was still light and fluffy!GreenTeaChiffon6The green tea taste in the cake is quite subtle. It could maybe use another teaspoon of green tea powder. I sprinkled some green tea powder on the cake once it’s done to enhance the green tea flavor and also to cover any flaws on the cake (I accidentally left my palm prints, when I remove the cake from the pan).

Serve your chiffon cake, plain….. or with a dollop of red bean paste! =

 GreenTeaChiffon7GreenTeaChiffon11

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails