Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Roti Canai Hot Dog Rolls

The past Monday was a day of trying out recipes posted by 3 different fellow bloggers…. It started out with making Roti Canai Hot Dog and before I know it, came San Bei Ji (3 Cups Chicken) and Tomato & Egg Stir Fry. The recipe try outs were somewhat quite successful, even though for my San Bei Ji, I lacked 2 some what vital greens; scallions and fresh basil. =P

My friend, Charlene posted this delicious Roti Canai Hot Dog Roll on her blog and after reading her posting, I was left catching my drool! It looks so yummy, seems to easy to make and since I have the ingredients… I made some to snack on! Charlene’s posting (and blog) is definitely better than mine, as she included step by step pictures of making this yummy snack and other delicious creations. As for me, I just take pictures of the finish product…=P

In this recipe, frozen Roti Canai is used and this can be found at most Asian grocery stores. The roti canai when baked gives an almost similar texture to puff pastry, but in my opinion a little less flaky. Never the less this snack is still yummy, great for breakfast (if you have time to spare), perfect as appetizers (just cut it up into smaller pieces) or as a just-because-I-feel-like-snacking thing.

Charlene and I used “Chinatown” brand frozen roti canais. She used a spring onion flavored one, while I used a plain one. Refer to Charlene’s posting for more information, explanation and step by step pictures. =) 

Roti Hotdog

MALAYSIAN (ROTI CANAI) HOT DOG ROLLS RECIPE

Ingredients:

  • Frozen Roti Canai
  • Hot Dogs, Thawed
  • 1 Egg
  • Sesame Seeds (**Optional)

Method:

Preheat oven @ 350 F. Leave frozen roti canais at room temperature to thaw until it’s a little flexible. This should take about 10-15 minutes. Do not thaw it for too long as the roti canai dough will be sticky and hard to work with. 

Slightly grease a baking pan or lined it with parchment paper and set it aside. Crack egg in a bowl and beat it with a fork or chopsticks. This will be the glaze for the rolls.

Once the roti has been thawed, lightly brush with egg mixture, place a hot dog at the edge of the roti canai and roll it tightly. One hot dog per roti canai. Repeat until you think you made enough. =)

Place assembled rolls, seam side down on baking dish leaving at least 1” space between each “dogs” to puff up! Make 3-4 slits on the top of each assembled hot dogs, then brush them with the egg wash glaze. Sprinkle top with some sesame seeds if you like for some extra texture. Place them in the oven to bake for about 45 minutes. Enjoy them while warm! =)

 Roti Hotdog-4Roti Hotdog-2

June’s Notes: I got impatient hungry as I was making these to snack on…so I up-ed the oven temperature to 375 F and baked the hot dogs for about 20 minutes. It wasn’t a smart move, as you can see my hot dogs had some what an ugly burst/split. I added sesame seeds on the top and I love the taste and texture of those toasted seeds.

Use any regular size hot dogs of choice for this recipe. If you are vegetarian, look out for those vegetarian (soy?) dogs!!

1 comment:

Charlene n Kevin said...

Ahhh I see what you mean by split. I guess you are right, maybe the temp was too high. Also, I THINK it wasn't that puffy cos it wasn't baked long enough. Who knowsss :P The sesame seeds were a good idea though!

Related Posts with Thumbnails