Wednesday, April 15, 2009

(My Ultimate) Lasagna???

I was never really a fan of lasagna until my friend Kristen made some about 1- 2 yrs ago. 8 of us drove to Maine and each of us contributed some food for our 2 days 2 nights stay at this very quaint and well equipped rented private home near the ski resort.

Kristen made 2 AWESOME lasagnas; egg plant and chicken! It was one of the best lasagna I’ve tasted and not your regular meat sauce kind. So yum, I asked her how she did it and almost bought ingredients to make my own lasagna when we return home to MA. I’ve started to make lasagna ever since!  

Anyway, I made some last night and this was one of the best tasting lasagna I’ve made. No specific recipe what so ever, just cook it like how I usually would. Only difference, I had loads of different stuff in it. Hence making it the Ultimate Lasagna. I will try to recreate this next time and share the recipe.

As for now, I’ll just debrief (My Ultimate) Lasagna. First, I baked some sliced eggplant coated in some Italian Breadcrumbs. Then sauté some mince garlic and onion in a pan. To it I added ground pork, continue to fry it till about 80-90% cooked then added sliced mushroom. Season with salt, pepper, sugar chili powder and oregano. Remove and set aside about 2/3 of the meat mixture. Add a large can of crushed tomatoes to the remaining 1/3 of meat mixture and cook till sauce is warm. **I almost always make my own pasta sauce!

Lasagna Lasagna-1

When almost ready to assemble, I mixed ricotta cheese, black pepper, eggs and chopped spinach in a bowl. In a baking dish, layered the tomato sauce, pasta sheets (I used non cooked ones), spinach ricotta mixture, meat mixture, baked eggplant and loads of shredded cheese. Once it’s all layered, sprinkled some chopped parsley and baked it for 45 minutes covered in foil and remove foil to let it bake for another 10-15 minutes.

Voila! My cheese laden Ultimate Lasagna! Mmm……. I would really love to try make Lasagna using Bechamel Sauce instead of tomato sauce next time!

Lasagna-2

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails