Monday, April 12, 2010

Lemon Bars

Lemon Bars…Lemon Squares…whatever you call it, this is one yummilicious Lemon Bar! I’ve always enjoyed Lemon bars/squares usually from catered events. I have a thing for this tart and tangy dessert but have never made it from scratch. The first time I made some lemon bars, I used Krusteaz lemon bar mix and I remember not getting a great lemon bar. My bars did not look like the picture on the box. It was all messy I probably threw the not so great lemon bars away out of frustration.

I had some Lemon Bars at work recently and that sparked my inspiration to make my own Lemon Bars. I found a Lemon Bar recipe on www.allrecipes.com and decided to try it out with a little tweaking based on the reviews.

The result was some awesomely lemon bars. The  filling/ “curd” was SO GOOD! Tart and tangy just the way i like it. The sweet salty buttery crust was a great companion to the tart lemon filling. The bars were half crust, half filling. The lemon filling was definitely refreshing and you get “burstfuls” of fresh lemony goodness in your mouth. I brought it to work and I’m happy to say it was quite a hit!

Here’s the simple recipe. It takes just about an hour to bake the dessert, but you do need to let it cool down before cutting into it!

Lemon Bars
LEMON BARS RECIPE

Ingredients:

Part A (Crust)

  • 1 Cup Butter, Softened
  • 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour

Part B (Filling)

  • 4 Large Eggs
  • 1-1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
  • 1/3 Cup + 2 Tbsp All-Purpose Flour
  • 3 Medium Lemons, Juiced
  • Zest from 1 to 1-1/2 Lemon

Method:

Preheat oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, blend together softened butter, 2 cups flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Press into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until firm and golden.

In another bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/12 cups sugar and 1/4 cup flour. Whisk in the eggs and lemon juice. Lightly and randomly poke crust with a skewer/fork. Pour over the baked crust. Bake for an additional 20 minutes in the preheated oven. The bars will firm up as they cool. Cut into squares.

June’s Comments: It took me about 30 minutes to bake the crust till golden. If you’re not a big fan of tartness, reduce the juice of lemon to 2 medium lemons. If you do reduce the juice, reduce the flour to about 1/3 Cup or slightly less.  Use fresh lemons for this recipe!

PS: Mom, I think you’ll enjoy this recipe! Try it and let me know!! =)

Signature

3 comments:

Cin Twin2 said...

These lemon bars were fabulous! They went quite well with the coffee I was drinking at work...I am not sure which part I like more: the buttery melt-in-your-mouth crust, or the tart lemony filling. So good!

Simply June said...

Thanks =). Glad u liked it. I'll make more next time. Love how easy it is to make them! I'm thinking of making some lemon cake of some kind next =).

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This look so mouthwatering!

Related Posts with Thumbnails