Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Peachy Peach Jam

With my last four peaches, I decided to reattempt making Peach Jam. This time, I made sure that I reduced the sugar and also added some lemon juice. The result….. I LOVE IT!!!! The texture came up more rustic looking and not as sticky or thick compared to my first attempt. It’s easier to spread and I thought the Peach flavor (and a burst or lemon) came thru more here. Most importantly, it’s not overly sweet! Just perfect for my preference!

PeachJam2

 PEACHY PEACH JAM RECIPE

Ingredients:

  • 1-1/2 Lb Peaches (About 4 medium peaches)
  • 6 Oz Sugar
  • 4 Tsp Lemon Juice

Method:

Bring water to a boil. Put peaches in the boiling water for about one minute. Take them out with a slotted spoon and place them in cold water. Peel and cut peaches  into 1” x 1/2” chunks. Discard peach pits. This gave me about 2 cups of peaches.  Put peaches into a large (wide-open) heavy bottom pot and add the sugar. Heat mixture over high heat for 15 minutes. Lower heat to medium and continue to boil mixture. Stir frequently as mixture is getting thicker and you want to avoid a burnt jam! Cook for another 20-25 minutes. Place and store jam in air tight container. This recipe yields you about 1 cup of jam and would probably keep for a week. Please note: If you’re making larger quantities, look into proper canning instructions to avoid your jam from going bad!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails