Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Mango Lychee Sorbet

Best part of having your own ice cream maker………..MAKING YOUR OWN FROZEN TREATS USING YOUR FAVORITE INGREDIENTS!!!!! Combining two of my favorite fruits for this summer sorbet….I thought this was pretty good….. but will definitely be better if I were to use fresh juicy sweet mangoes!

IMG_2330 

MANGO LYCHEE SORBET RECIPE

Ingredients:

  • 1 - 1 Lb Package Frozen Mangoes (I used Dole Frozen Mangoes)
  • 1 - 20 Oz Can Lychee In Syrup ( I used Arroy-D Canned Lychees)
  • 1/3 Cup Sugar
  • 3 Tsp Lemon Juice

Method:

Let frozen mangoes thaw in the fridge. Strain Lychees and reserve syrup. In a small saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of reserve syrup, sugar and let mixture boil over medium heat. Stir mixture occasionally until all sugar has dissolved. Set aside to cool and combine with remaining Lychee syrup. Add fruits, lemon juice and syrup in a blender and process until smooth. Pour into a separate bowl and let puree cool in fridge for about 2 hours.

Churn puree according to your manufacturer’s instructions to make some yummilicious sorbet. I used a Cuisinart Ice Cream maker and processed the sorbet for about 30-35 minutes.

Transfer sorbet into containers and chill in freezer for about 2 hours before digging in to it. Enjoy!! This recipe gave me a little over 4 cups of Mango Lychee Sorbet.

Optional/Suggestion : Chill canned lychee a few hours before using. Reserve about 4 pieces of Lychees and 6 pieces of mango. Chopped them up, set aside and only add them at the last 5 minutes of churning the sorbet.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

These are two of my favorite fruits too but it seems like such a waste to mix them since they are so delicious separately. Mixing would seem to erase the characteristics of each.

One thing I like about your recipe is that you don't strain out the fruit. Most recipes ask you to push the puree through strainer. That would be such a waste because I love the tiny pieces of fruit. Otherwise, it would just be boring frozen juice.

I also like the fact that you don't waste the syrup. Many recipes discard the syrup yet list water and sugar as ingredients for the sorbet! Isn't syrup just water and sugar??? The lychee syrup is much better than water and sugar because it retains some lychee flavor. In fact, I never discard the syrup from canned fruits. Mixing it with water, seltzer water or milk makes a refreshing drink.

I'm going to make this sorbet tonight. Maybe I'll even add in some milk powder to make lychee ice milk or sherbet.

btw, in the last ingredient, you forgot to specify "juice." At first I thought you meant lemon zest.

Simply June said...

sdc100 : thanks for your comment! I've added "juice" to the last ingredient...thanks for catching that! I agree that both fruits are great seperately, and thought it would be even better to have the best of both worlds in one dessert! Haha.. Hubby and I thought we could taste both lychee and mangoes in the sorbet.. Another loyal taster friend of mine, thought she tasted more mangoes than lychee. I did not bother straining the puree as I also thought it would be a waste and I love having some fruit texture in the sorbet. Actually the few sorbet recipes I;ve come across does not require me to strain the puree, and that's why I did not do it either. I guess it's up to personal preference and whatever that works. =) And like you said why waste the lychee syrup when it does help enhance the taste of the lychee in the sorbet. We too will occasionally enjoy canned lychee and longan (and other fruits) with their syrup, ice and some water. I've even had them with orange soda when I was a kid... Let me know how the recipe turn out for you. Next time, I'll take your advice and make those two sorbets separately! =)Care sharing your sherbet recipe? Do you by chance love red bean ice cream and have a recipe for it? =) Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts with Thumbnails