Saturday, July 25, 2009

Penang Hokkien Mee

Penang Hokkien (Prawn Mee) Mee is one of hubby’s favorite Malaysian food. I profess that hubby is a Hokkien Mee Connoisseur when it comes this soupy noodle dish since he will order this from hawker stalls in Malaysia and will occasionally order this from Malaysian restaurants in the US. This is one dish that I will always receive a bit of complaints comments on from the hubby.

For those of you who’s not familiar with this dish, the spicy soup is made from boiling shrimp, dried chili (shrimp shells/heads) and pork till fragrant. The regular condiments added to the soup besides yellow noodle and rice vermicelli are shrimp, bean sprouts, water convolvulus, egg, pork and fried shallots.HokkienMee1Since the this soup base requires the usage of shrimp shell to achieve the shrimpy flavor, I tend to keep the shells from peeling shrimps and cook them once I get a good amount or when they are taking over my freezer! With help of some paste to further enhance the “shrimpiness”, I will boil the broth with the shrimp shells (or heads whenever possible), pork, dried shrimp, fried shallots, garlic, salt, soy sauce, chilli and sugar over a few hours.

In the mean time, I will prepare the noodles and condiments as shown in the above picture. The verdict, (as usual) Mr. Hokkien Mee Connoisseur a.k.a. hubby will complain that the soup is not flavorful enough (even when I think it was already good!).

I made this a few nights back and received the same comment from hubby who said that it would be better the next day and he said it could use a little more heat. In my defense, after all I do not consume as much Hokkien Mee as he does to be able to taste difference from good to spectacular.HokkienMeeSince, I made a big pot of the broth, hubby’s dream came true…… I added more heat to the overnight shrimp broth the next day. He claimed it was better and ate it lighting quick!! So quick that he requested a second bowl, while I’m still working on my first bowl. I on the other hand was left hosing down my throat with ice cold water with this new batch of shrimp broth during dinner time! =(

Maybe next time, I’ll make hubby cook my some Penang Hokkien Mee and I’ll be the judge? =P

1 comment:

ween said...

wahhhh that looks yummy!!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails