Thursday, February 11, 2010

My First Ebelskiver / Abelskiver Pan!

I’ve been itching to get an Ebelskiver / Abelskiver pan for the longest time but it usually cost more than what I’m willing to spend especially since it’s not a kitchen necessity. These pans cost about $20 plus and up and are usually made of heavy cast iron.

Ebelskiver is actually a Danish pastry which tasted like pancakes and comes in almost a ball shape. They are sometimes filled with jam or other ingredients and are served with a dusting of powdered sugar. Best eaten warm! I had it once more than 10 years ago, and I enjoyed it. The dusting of powdered sugar does get a little messy though. =)

I came so close to getting one at Williams Sonoma the other day only to be told by the cashier to pay $48 (plus tax). Yes, I got over excited and saw the wrong price. The Ebelskiver recipe book was $12, the pan 4 times more! I guess I got a little excited there and then. And feeling rather embarrassed, I told the cashier I did not want it anymore and scurried out of the store.

A few days later, I was determined to get myself a Ebelskiver pan well within my budget and went shopping on Amazon.com. I found one for about $12 and with another stuff that I bought, shipping was free! =) It came a few days later and boy was I thrilled to get it in the mail! It felt like X’mas again somehow.

I’ve yet to use it but it won’t be long before I churn out some yummy Ebelskiver for breakfast! I think I could even make Takoyaki with my Ebelskiver pan. Takoyaki is a round Japanese dumpling with almost pancake like texture filled with yummy octopus pieces and topped with different kind of sauce. Another yummy delight!! =) Anyone’s got a yummy Ebelskiver or Takoyaki recipe for me to try out???

Abelskiver

If you’re hunting for a Ebelskiver pan, check out the one I got from Amazon.com. I’m not sure if it’s good, but for $12 it’s a steal!! =)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails