Monday, March 23, 2009

COFFEE CAKE

This Coffee Cake recipe is another trial run for my friend’s wedding cupcakes! A success! Yay! I made this cupcake on Wednesday and 1- 2 days later it’s still moist. Plus, these are mini cupcakes and they usually dry out quicker than bigger cupcakes! I am gonna reattempt the Lemon Early Grey cupcakes and make some adjustments to it and see how it held up 2 days later! I am gonna pour some hot syrup on the hot cakes to make sure the moisture is still there after 2 days!

You must be wondering why do I want to keep the cupcakes till 2 days later….Well, I’m planning to bake 50-60 mini cupcakes and decorate them with fondant on Friday. Saturday morning, fly off to Chicago with them and Sunday afternoon, present them during the wedding luncheon as wedding cupcakes!! Did I mention that the wedding is March 29? =). I’ve somewhat made the cupcake stand which I will use to stack the cupcakes and hopefully make a wonderful presentation out of it. I still need to neatly wrap up the stands and ship it to Chicago in advance! I am truly excited about the whole project, especially the chance of making wedding cupcakes for a dear friend! =)

Here’s the recipe!

Coffee Cupcake

COFFEE CAKE RECIPE

Ingredients:

  • 1/4 Cup Butter (Softened at room temperature)
  • 1/2 Cup + 2 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1 Large Egg
  • 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour (Sifted)
  • 3/4 Tsp + 1/8 Tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Cup Milk
  • 1 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
  • 2 Tbsp Coffee Yogurt (**Look for Dannon)

Method:

Preheat oven at 350F. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Then add vanilla extract and coffee powder into mixture. Combine flour and baking powder into mixture and stir well. Finally mix in milk and yogurt. Combine batter. Pour batter into baking pan (lined with parchment paper) or cupcake pan lined with cupcake liners. For cupcakes, pour batter till about 3/4 cup full. Bake @ 350F for 20-25 minutes till testing skewer comes out clean or cupcakes are slightly brown! This gave me about 28 mini cupcakes! Coffee Cupcake-1

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

*SQUEAAAAAAAAAL* THEY LOOK SO GOOD!!! :o) *PEACHY PLEASED*

Kiat said...

Are you coming also with my lobster? haha! Only you or both of you? Have time for lunch or dinner saturday?

Simply June said...

Kiat....only myself... i have appointments for lunch and i have wedding rehearsel at 5pm.....maybe can have quick coffee or something.. no promise though.... i know u sooo want to meet me.. haha

Tze Hui @ Erin said...

hey there! wanna ask you what's coffee yoghurt? and why look for Dannon?

Simply June said...

coffee flavored yogurt. The one i used was by dannon.=)..u can use plain yogurt too... maybe can increase the coffee powder by a wee bit more.

Tze Hui @ Erin said...

ok thx! psst... anyway my mom's b'day is next week, and i plan to bake her a simple cake, any suggestions? any recipes for a very, very SIMPLE cake? thx soo much!

Tze Hui @ Erin said...

hey! i tried out this recipe... got some questions:

1. what are the measurements for the baking powder? I put around 1 tsp.. is that enough? or do i have to add baking soda?

2. are the cups equivalent to accurate measurements or just rough estimations? cz i read somewhere that 1 cup = 240 ml

3.is the yogurt necessary? can i substitute it by using 1/2 cup milk, and use 1 packet of instant coffee instead? 'cause i couldn't taste any coffee flavour in my cake, only vanilla...

4. how long do i have to beat the butter and sugar? 'cause I don't know what it means by "light and fluffy"..

sorry for all the trouble, thanks so much!

Simply June said...

tze hui:

1) Baking powder : 3/4 Tsp + 1/8 Tsp. It's almost 1 Tsp, so that should be more than enough. No need for baking soda.
2) The cups are accurate measurements. Please note that I use measurement cups and not your coffee/tea cup. =) Yes, 1 cup should be about 240ml.
3)You can omit coffee yogurt (or use plain ones). 1/2 cup milk is too much. You can just add 1-2 tbsp of it (in addition) to the 1/4 cup in the recipe. It's funny you couldn't taste the coffee...coz I (and friends) could taste the presence. Did you use instant coffee powder/granules, i.e. nescafe? Maybe you could increase it and add 1-2 tsp of coffee granules. Not sure how 3 in 1 coffee powder will taste or what it will do to the cake. You could always experiment.
4)light and fluffy.... err.. I don't really know how long I cream the butter and sugar to achieve that. But I gauge my the color of the butter turning slightly pale and the sugar slightly dissolved. And of course, it's no longer heavy like the butter before you started creaming it? It does take practise to get it right.. Hehe... Try this site.. http://www.baking911.com/howto/cream.htm

This "coffee" cake is based on this recipe : http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Simple-White-Cake/Detail.aspx

No trouble with the questions. Hope my comment helps.

Related Posts with Thumbnails