Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Whole Wheat Pancake Recipe

I found a bag of whole wheat flour tucked away in my pantry and decided to make some semi-healthy pancakes for brunch. I found this Whole Wheat Pancake recipe from www.makehealthymeals.com, and decided to use it with one substitution! Buttermilk for milk, since I have some fat free buttermilk in my fridge! The pancakes came out light, moist, fluffy and had a slight nutty flavor to it. Here’s the recipe with my tiny substitution!

Some quick facts on whole wheat flour:

  • High in fiber
  • Good source of Vitamin B, Vitamin E, and Magnesium.
  • Contain antioxidants not found in fruits or vegetables.
  • Read more facts on the benefits of Whole Wheat HERE.

Brunch-2

WHOLE WHEAT (BUTTERMILK) PANCAKE RECIPE

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup fat free buttermilk (original recipe asks for milk)
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • additional oil for frying

Method:

Oil a frying pan. Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in one bowl. In another bowl, scramble the egg, then add the milk and the 2 tablespoons of oil. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, well enough to eliminate dry spots but no more.

Heat the frying pan to medium temperature. Pour a pancake. The pancake will bubble. When the bubbling settles down and the edges are slightly dry, flip the pancake. When the pancake looks done, remove it and start another one.

You should get about 10-12 pieces of 3” pancakes! Serve pancakes with your favorite condiments; whipped butter, maple syrup, chocolate syrup or fruit sauce!

June’s Notes: I mixed all the ingredients in one bowl (to avoid having to wash another extra bowl!). Started with the dry ingredients then added all the wet ingredients and mixed it well. I left the pancake batter aside for 30-40 minutes before I started making them. The pancakes still turned out light and fluffy! I served my pancakes with some homemade Strawberry Sauce using a bag frozen strawberries and half a bottle of mix fruit preserve from a local farm! Ended up with lots of extra sauce for my next batch of pancakes or whatever I come up with next! Good luck!Brunch-3

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails