Friday, February 6, 2009

Apam Balik / Crispy Ban Chiang Kuih Recipe

"Apam Balik" is a Malaysian crispy pancake /crepe usually filled with grounded roasted peanuts and sugar; often sold by street vendors in Malaysia. I made "Apam Balik" last night using this awesome recipe I read from one of the food blogs I frequent; Lily's Wai Sek Hong. I have used Lily's blog for different Malaysian recipes and they usually turned out very yummy and often quite authentic! Thank you, Lily for sharing all these wonderful recipes!

Here's the "Apam Balik" recipe with some of my minute changes. Lily's original recipe can be found HERE.

Ingredients:
- 170 gm all purpose flour
- 100 gm rice flour
- 30 gm cornstarch
- 2 tsp double action baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 6- 7 ozs water ( used a little more than that as my batter was very very thick)
- 150 gm fine granulated sugar

Filling:
-120 g melted butter
-150 gm fine granulated sugar
-1 cup chopped roasted peanuts (I grinded it using food processor)
- Creamed Corn (Lily's recipe did not ask for this, I added 1-2 tbsp of creamed corn to each pancake)

Method:
Mix all the ingredients together, strain and leave in the fridge for at least 3 hours (I made one immediately, and it turned out good). Heat a crepe pan or a small nonstick pan slightly (just hot enough for batter to stick to pan). Pour in a 4 oz laddle of batter and swirl pan so that batter is coating the edge. Remove the excess batter and sprinkle in some sugar on the pancake.Cook till the bottom of pancake is golden brown.Sprinkle with melted butter, then chopped roasted peanuts and in my case creamed corn. Fold the pancake into a half and leave to cool (I ate it immediately!!)

4 comments:

SandGlitter said...

Hi June, Thank you for sharing this lovely (and simple) recipe. I made it today for tea and we loved it so much. It brought back the Pasar Malam memories. Thank you!

Simply June said...

Sandra,

Thank you for stopping by my blog and trying out the recipe. Glad it turned out well for you and brought back those pasar malam memories!! it's good to know that this recipe is easy to make and the result is quite authentic! =)

Fay said...

Hi Thanks for sharing this and I was suddenly missed apam balik & Apam Libat. Will try it out when I have time. Did the Apam turn out crispy?

Simply June said...

the apam balik turnd out crispy for me..

Related Posts with Thumbnails