Thursday, August 16, 2012

Nectarine Sorbet

From my "cooking" class where I tasted and took home a delicious nectarine galette recipe, I also took home a refreshing nectarine sorbet recipe. Stone fruits are in season now, so this was a perfect time to make something out of the fresh fruits. 

Recipe was simple, but the instructor's recipe was more than my ice cream maker could handle. I had to tweak Robert Wemischner's recipe stone fruit sorbet recipe a little to suit my taste and my ice cream maker. From the class, we were told that it's best to let the ice cream/sorbet base rest overnight before churning it so that you get a more intense flavor. I did the same, but I don't think leaving the base overnight did anything to my sorbet.

Grab some fresh stone fruits from the store and try this recipe out! Feel free to use peaches, apricots, plums, any very ripe stone fruit will do!


NECTARINE SORBET RECIPE
Ingredients
  • 4 Ripe Nectarines (about 2 Lbs)
  • 1 Cup Sugar
  • 1 Cup Water
  • Zest from 1/2 Large Lemon
  • Juice from 1 Large Lemon
Method
In a small pot, bring to boil sugar and water to make simple syrup (This will give you about 1-1/2 Cup and you will only use part of it). Set syrup aside and let it cool. 

Cut nectarines (keep the skin) into wedges and discard pits. Place cut nectarines, 1 cup of simple syrup, lemon zest and juice into a food processor or a blender and let it process until smooth. Slowly pour the blended nectarines through a fine sieve into a clean container. You will need to pour a little at a time, to avoid overflow. You'll need to stir the mixture constantly to get as much liquid through. Discard the remnants in the sieve.

Now, you can either store the sieved puree in the fridge over night before churning it or churn it right away in your ice cream maker per the manufacturer's instruction. I used a cuisinart 1.5 quart ice cream maker and processed the sorbet for about 30-35 minutes.

Transfer the sorbet into a container and freeze for about 2-3 hours before serving! Enjoy!

Simply June 




2 comments:

Xenia Olivia said...

OMG I bet this is delicious. If only it tasted like the Japanese peaches I tried yesterday in Hysan Place... Drool drool drool!

xx Olivia

http://0liviaschoice.blogspot.com

Simply June said...

it's very refreshing for hot summer days!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails