Thursday, August 23, 2012

Easy Dinner Rolls

Updated 3 Sept, 2012

Making bread is my nemesis. Well, perhaps patience is my problem in making bread or anything that involves yeast. Having to let the dough rise and rise and rise like there's no tomorrow so that you get soft and fluffy bread does test my patience. Therefore, the few times I tried to make bread and couldn't wait to let it rise more, I ended up with almost rock hard bread. Epic fail! Serve me right I guess. My main problem, is that I can't wait to get it baked and eat it right away. I "heart" bread. Just ask my husband, he knows how much bread I can eat in one seating, prior to dinner. Nice warm dinner rolls accompanied with rich creamy butter and I'm pretty much all set while waiting for the main course to arrive.

I had wanted to make dinner tolls again a couple months ago, and tried a recipe. It was a success.. as I let the dough rise and rise and rise. The result was nice and fluffy dinner rolls. The second time I used the recipe, I first forget to add sugar at the beginning of the process and I think that killed it. The dough did not rise properly. While it wasn't super hard... it wasn't great.

The third time, I tried the recipe, it was great.... I made myself busy so that I won't be tempted to bake the dinner rolls too soon. Result was soft and fluffy bread...... eat it warm with some butter! If it cools down, you'll need to reheat it again. Click here for the original recipe, mine is slightly tweaked with a longer resting time for the dough.


EASY DINNER ROLLS RECIPE
*Makes 12 dinner rolls

Ingredients
  • 2-2-1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 Envelope Fleischmann's Rapid Rise Yeast
  • 2 Tbsp Butter
  • 2 Tbsp Sugar
  • 1/2 Tsp Salt
  • 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 1/4 Cup Water
  • 1 Tsp Oil
  • 1 Egg Yolk, Beaten
  • 1/2 Tsp Sesame Seed (Optional)
Method
Combine 3/4 Cup Flour, undissolved yeast, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (About 120F - 130F). Add flour mixture. Using a electric mixer, beat mixtures at medium speed for 2 minutes, scarping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Add 1/4 Cup of flour, and beat at high speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Remove dough from bowl and knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic for about 8-10 minutes. Place the dough back into the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let it rest for 30 minutes.

Divide the dough into 12 pieces and shape them into balls. Grease a 8 inch round pan with oil, and place the dough in it. Cover with plastic wrap and let the dough rise in a warm draft free place for about 1 hour. The dough should double in size. 

Brush the egg yolk onto the dough and sprinkle with optional sesame seeds. Bake the dough in a preheated oven at 375F for about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.

June's Notes: You can stuff the little dinner rolls with some cheese, mini franks or sweet red bean paste, etc. Stuff the dough after you divide them into 12 pieces and let them rest per the recipe! =)

Simply June 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails