Friday, March 12, 2010

Salmon Cakes

I have a can of red salmon (what ever that is) sitting in my pantry. I think my inlaws got them when they were here and yes they’ve been sitting a while in my always very packed pantry. I can never go hungry if I’m stuck at home!! =)

Having never seen, heard and let alone use canned salmon, I had to think of a quick way to use it. Making cakes/croquettes was a brilliant idea to use up canned fish. I held my breath as I opened the can and dump the contents into a bowl. I don’t know what to expect. The canned salmon was actually a portion of a cut up salmon, cooked till bones are tender (skin still intact) and squashed into a can! Other than that, it looked any boiled salmon I guess…

Japanese Breadcrumbs (Panko) gives the cakes a nice little crunch! Ground cumin in the salmon cakes was a nice little spice spruce me up and gave the cakes a little different flavor. Here’s the recipe for the Salmon Cakes.

SalmonCakes

SALMON CAKES RECIPE

Ingredients:

  • 1 Can Red Salmon (14-2/4Oz can)
  • 2 Ribs Celery, Diced (About 1 Cup)
  • 1 Medium Onion, Diced (About 1 Cup)
  • 2 Cloves Garlic , Minced
  • 4 Tsp Dijon Mustard
  • 1 Tsp Chopped Parsley
  • 1 Tsp Lemon Juice
  • 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
  • 2 Large Eggs
  • 2 Tbsp Butter
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1 Cup Panko
  • Oil

Method:

Drain juice from salmon and remove skin and as many bones (bones are edible, but I like to remove them) as you can. I ended up with about 9 oz of salmon. Mash the salmon and set aside.

In a pan, melt butter over medium high heat. Once butter has melted, add onion, celery and garlic. Saute mixture until onion is soft. If you prefer, you can also cook until the celery is soft. I personally prefer a little crunch to the celery.

Once that is done, set the mixture aside and let it cool. Add celery & onion mixture, cumin, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt and pepper add one beaten egg into the mashed salmon. Mix well and use a ice cream scoop (or not) to scoop them and shape them into discs/patties (About 2-1/2” x 3/4”). Beat an egg. Gently dipped the salmon patties/cakes into the the beaten egg mixture and coat patties well in Panko crumbs.

Heat a pan with oil (to cover at least half the height of the salmon cakes) over medium high heat. Fry the Panko coated salmon cakes until golden brown on the first side and continue the same for the second side. This will give you about 9-10 pretty delicious salmon cakes!

SalmonCakes1

June’s Comments: The Salmon Cakes can be quite fragile but will firm up after you cook them. I love to serve anything fried with a concoction of mayonnaise (my favorite dipping condiment!!), ketchup and chili sauce. Serve the Salmon Cakes as is, with some salad or sandwiched between bread! =)

Signature

2 comments:

Cin Twin2 said...

My mom used to make this when I was growing up and we called them "salmon patties". The best was when she used leftover salmon from a previous meal. So good....looks/sounds yummy!

Simply June said...

Too bad you're now a vegetarian...I would make you some =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails