Thursday, August 2, 2012

Egg & Chinese Sausage Fried Rice

Fried Rice is often associated with Chinese. The husband and I often joked that whenever we travel overseas, he needs to go to get his fix of Chinese Fried Rice....One reason being...he can never live without his rice and second reason being there's always a Chinese restaurant everywhere you go.. and sometimes in the least expected town out of no where.... you'll find a Chinese take out restaurant.

My fridge was getting empty and I'm still trying to maximize everything before I stock up at the grocery store. No, it's not that the grocery store is far from me, in fact I can easily walk there in 5 minutes! It's just being lazy and trying to make sure I utilize as much as I have first before buying more food.

Chinese Sausage is one thing that keeps pretty well, and it's something that I will usually have in my fridge. I love it in fried rice as well as dishes like Claypot Chicken Rice. Chinese Sausages (or more fondly known as Lap Cheong in Cantonese are like many western cured dry sausages like salami and chorizo. Lap Cheong is sweet and salty, and unlike Chorizo it's not spicy. I believe Chinese Sausages are mostly cooked before consuming unlike the salami where you can just sliced it up and munch it with some cheese and wine.

Combining my 2 favorite items; chinese sausage and eggs and a limited pantry, I made egg & chinese sausage fried rice. In this recipe, I cooked the egg separately as I prefer bigger chunks of scrambled egg. Overnight rice is the best option for fried rice, so that you do not get wet soggy fried rice. I planned ahead for this meal by cooking extra rice the night before so that I have extra rice for today's dinner menu. Here's the recipe!


EGG & CHINESE SAUSAGE FRIED RICE RECIPE
*Serves 3-4

Ingredients

  • 4 Chinese Sausage, Casing Removed & Sausages Sliced Thinly
  • 3 Crabstick, Sliced (Optional)
  • 4 Large Eggs, Lightly Beaten with 1 Tsp Soy Sauce
  • 4 Cups Overnight Rice
  • 1 Cup Frozen Peas (or Frozen Mixed Vegetable)
  • 2-3 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
  • 2 + 1 Tsp Tbsp Vegetable Oil
  • 1 Tbsp Oyster Sauce
  • 2 Tbsp Premium Light Soy Sauce 
  • 2-3 Dash of White Pepper,  ( or To Taste)
  • 1 Stalk Green Onion, Chopped

Method
Heat wok over medium high heat. Stir in sliced chinese sausage and let the fat render. Once the sausages are slightly brown, remove sausages from heat and place in a bowl. Do not clean the wok.

Add in 1 tsp of oil into the same work and add beaten eggs. Stir it occasionally and break the eggs into pieces. Continue cooking the egg until you get a dry scrambled egg consistency. Remove scrambled eggs from heat and place with the sausages. Do not clean the wok.

Heat 2 tbsp of oil in the same wok over medium high heat Then add chopped garlic and sliced crabsticks and saute mixture until garlic is slightly brown. Add frozen peas and continue to stir mixture until peas are defrosted. Reduce heat to medium, then add overnight rice, chinese sausages, scrambled eggs, oyster sauce, light soy sauce and dashes of white pepper into the wok. Stir occasionally for about 4-5 minutes so that everything is mixed well. Serve immediately with sprinkles of chopped green onions.

June's Comments : As the chinese sausages are already salty, I try not to add too much sodium to the rice. If you eat every spoonful of fried rice with a piece ( or two) of the chinese sausages, that should give you enough sodium in every bite! 
You can get Chinese Sausages in most Asian grocery stores, and even some American grocery stores ( if there's a huge Asian population in the area). You can even get it on Amazon.com ( this is the brand I use).  

Simply June 

7 comments:

Joan said...

Simple and nice! =)

meii said...

I made this today and this is the first and only fried rice I have made that received stamp of approval so far.. thanks to your recipe! =)

Simply June said...

Yay! Have fun cooking, Meii!

Anonymous said...

I love your blog..the recipes are simple to make and you give so many tips :)

Simply June said...

Thank you =)

Unknown said...

This is very delicious. I'll make my own version and try this with Rico corn rice.

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I have my own versions of fried rice and my family has various favourite methods of cooking chinese sausage. But must admit, have never made fried rice with quite this flavour. I thought the hoisin sauce would be too sweet but it wasn't! And the rice was not too greasy either. I added an extra green onion and some finely chopped jalapeno pepper. My husband really liked this. Thanks, will keep this in my regular recipes section.

Related Posts with Thumbnails