Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Apple & Peach Salsa

While I was making some pork carnitas yesterday for my taco, I realized I forgot all about some kind of salsa to go with taco. Since the pork is kinda rich and heavy, I knew I needed something light to cut down the richness of the pork. Not wanting to make traditional salsa, I opted to incorporate the 2 fruits I had in my fridge; apple and peach into the salsa.

I like the combination; a little crunch, a little sweetness, a little tanginess and a little heat in a bite (especially when you bite in that tiny tiny piece of serrano pepper). Adding it to some taco carnitas, I feel like I'm eating "quite" healthy! A little taste of pork carnitas and fresh salsa in one bite, YUMS! I really like the combination when I take a bite into the taco; I get the savoriness and richness from the carnitas and the freshness and lightness from the apple and peach salsa. I'm sure it will go great with some grilled pork chops or even some grilled fish. Here's the salsa recipe:

   

APPLE & PEACH SALSA RECIPE
**Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 Medium Onion, Finely Chopped
  • 1 Medium Green Apple, Peeled, Cored & Finely Chopped
  • 1 Medium Peach, Peeled, Deseeded & Finely Chopped 
  • 1 Small Serrano Pepper, Deseeded & Very Finely Minced **
  • Handful of Cilantro, Chopped (About 1 Tbsp packed)
  • 1/2 Tsp Salt
  • 1 Tsp Sugar
  • Juice of 1 Lime
Method:

In a bowl, mix all the ingredients above. Taste and if you need more salt, sugar or lime juice, feel free to adjust. Set aside in the fridge for about 30 minutes until ready for use. Serve with your favorite pork carnitas or your choice of meat! 

**Reminder: Do not rub/touch your face or eyes after you cut the chili!


June's comments: Depending on how much heat you like or can take, add a little of the serrano pepper first, mix and taste. Add more if you like more heat to the salsa. You can also sprinkle a dash or two of cayenne pepper for more heat. But I like to keep this salsa a little more refreshing and therefore restrained from adding too much heat to it. 

Enjoy! 

Simply June 

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails